One of the aims of this contest is to encourage mathematicians to communicate mathematical ideas simply, clearly and engagingly. Entries will be screened for accuracy by a panel of mathematicians and then judged by 3rd, 4th, or 5th graders (depending on the question you have chosen to answer).
For answers to frequently asked questions – and some helpful hints — see FAQs for Mathematicians.
1. Choose one division in which you will be competing (3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade).
2. Answer the question in a way a 3rd, 4th, or 5th grader will find instructive, interesting, and maybe even fun.
3. Submit your answer by 11:59 pm (Los Angeles time) on December 15, 2016.
4. The contest is open only to mathematicians. For this contest, we define a mathematician as someone who has, or is in the process of getting, a graduate degree in a mathematics (including applied mathematics).
5. Entries can be submitted as videos or as graphics (e.g. using presentation software to produce a set of slides). Entries will be judged within their division. We plan to name a winner and runner-up in each division.
6. Videos must be shorter than 5 minutes, and presentations must be no more than 10 slides..
7. Answers must be in English
8. Entries must be the original work of the person or persons submitting them.
9. Team entries are allowed, but teams can include no more than four mathematicians.
10. The winners will receive a $500 cash prize. If a team entry wins, only one cash prize will be awarded for the entry. Runners-up will receive a $250 cash prize.
11. By submitting an entry, you affirm that you are the sole creator of the entry, that it is original, and that it does not infringe upon any rights of others. You also grant the Organizer of the Challenge the right to use your entry in any manner that the Organizer deems appropriate. If your entry is chosen as a finalist, semi-finalist or winner, you agree that the Organizer may publish your name and photograph in connection with the contest. Submission of an entry indicates acceptance of all contest rules.